



**Chesapeake Bay Program**  
**Watershed Technical Workgroup (WTWG)**  
**Meeting Minutes**  
Thursday, December 2, 2021  
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM  
Calendar Page: [Link](#)

**Actions and Decisions**

**Decision:** WTWG approved the August, September, and October meeting minutes.

**Action:** A detailed synopsis of the Ag fertilizer data error correction in CAST will be provided to WTWG. This will also be discussed in greater detail at an upcoming WQGIT meeting (potentially at their January 24<sup>th</sup> meeting).

**Action:** WTWG will be provided the WWTWG minutes and a synthesis of the feedback received from the WWTWG on backout as it relates to septic connections.

**Action:** Jeremy Hanson will provide the revised Technical Appendix to WTWG for their review. He will come back to the WTWG in January to brief the WTWG on the changes with the goal of consensus being reached at the February WTWG meeting.

**Action:** The draft Appendix V: Protocols for Verification of Annual BMP Data Submissions Discussion will be sent to WTWG for their review. Consensus will be sought at the January WTWG meeting.

**Action:** Vanessa Van Note will follow up with WTWG members to make sure they understand what is happening for 2021 Progress.

**Meeting Minutes**

10:00 AM – **Introductions and Announcements** – Vanessa Van Note, EPA

- Approval of August, September, and October Meeting Minutes – Cassandra Davis, NYSDEC
  - *PA abstained from voting for the minutes.*
  - *WV requested that minutes be posted sooner.*
  - *NY abstained from voting for October minutes.*
  - **Decision:** *WTWG approved the August, September, and October meeting minutes.*
- Brief recap of 2-day WQGIT Phase 7 Meeting – Cassandra Davis, NYSDEC
  - *Next WQGIT meeting on December 13<sup>th</sup> will discuss updated timeline for Phase 7 Development.*
- Update on Hillandale – Vanessa Van Note, EPA, and Loretta Collins, UMD
  - *Need to get more input from AgWG members first before deciding how to move forwards*
  - *Chris Brosch: can you characterize the feedback you've received already?*
  - *Loretta Collins: we are at a point that Hillandale was an outstanding issue from CAST 2021 so some sort of resolution needs to occur. The point of the survey is to determine how close we are to consensus on how to address Hillandale.*

**THIS MEETING IS BEING RECORDED**

- *Vanessa Van Note: we received feedback in terms of equitability, what should be allowed, etc. We want to work with AgWG membership to find the best path forwards.*
- *Chris Brosch: I am not really convinced that the quality of the data is on par with the other sources of data that we use. That will be an outstanding issue from DE.*
- *Loretta Collins: can you make sure that this feedback is included in the survey that we send out for AgWG?*
- **CAST 2021 Ag Fertilizer Data Update – Lucinda Power, EPA**
  - *Taking this month to review CBPO procedures so the error doesn't happen again and meet 1-on-1 with each jurisdiction as well. We are planning to put in checks in the system as well.*
  - *Alana Hartman: what error are we talking about?*
  - *Lucinda Power: the missing ag fertilizer data in VA for 2013-14. The way the fertilizer is spread it impacts the other jurisdictions as well.*
  - *Norm Goulet: I would highly suggest that the Bay Program put together a presentation on this issue, especially if it is being discussed at WQGIT.*
  - *Lucinda Power: Yes, it will be an announcement on the 13<sup>th</sup> because we need more time before giving a detailed presentation. The plan is to have one ready for the January WQGIT meeting.*
  - *Dave Montali: is there a synopsis of the ag fertilizer issue that could be sent out?*
  - *Lucinda Power: we are assessing 2021 progress with cast 2019. When CAST 2021 is released we would rerun all the years of progress.*
  - *Jeff Sweeney: we are at the end of a milestone period- we began it with CAST 2019 and will end it with CAST 2019- once CAST 2021 comes out we will rerun.*
  - *Vanessa Van Note: the urban fertilizer is not an error it's resulting from the methodology that is used.*
  - *Chris Brosch: that non-farm data had not been previously used in previous version of CAST.*
  - *Olivia Devereux: that AAPCO data was included in CAST 2014, but there was no new data for CAST 2019. The first time we are adding non-farm data is in CAST 2021.*
  - *Jeff Sweeney: CAST 2019 we added 13 and 14 correctly, in this version new should the methods agreed upon but added in 2015, 16, and 17. The methodology was developed in 2018 and that is what we have been using.*
  - *Cassie Davis: will the error be fixed in CAST 2019 or also in CAST 2021?*
  - *Olivia Devereux: outside of any errors and issues, the procedure is that we transition to a new version and when we do that, we remove the old version from online, but we maintain a copy of the old versions. The official WIP for all states is from CAST 2017. NY and PA WIP will be in CAST 2019. We also have the WIP BMPs, which are copied into the current version of CAST.*
  - *Cassie Davis: I want to request that the load increase be included in the presentation on this so we can see what the affect is.*
- **2020 Progress Update – Jeff Sweeney, EPA**
  - *2020 progress is published and available to the public. It's on EPA website under Chesapeake Progress under Water Quality.*
- **CAST 2021 is on schedule – Olivia Devereux, Devereux Consulting and Cassandra Davis, NYSDEC**
  - *We are not on schedule, and we need to take time to review the error first. A detailed description of the error correction will be sent via email.*
  - **Action:** A detailed synopsis of the error correction in CAST will be provided to WTWG.
- **2021 Progress Schedule Reminders – Vanessa Van Note, EPA**

## THIS MEETING IS BEING RECORDED

- *This schedule was sent out in November to WTWG. Because there was a delay, submission deadlines have been extended to December 6<sup>th</sup>. Reach out to Vanessa Van Note with questions about what data can be delayed and what cannot.*
- *Chris Brosch: when do we expect the QAPP feedback for which we are responsible to respond by Feb 8<sup>th</sup>?*
- *Vanessa Van Note: is a month a reasonable amount of time to receive feedback?*
- *Chris Brosch: yes, that is what has been done in the past.*
- *Jeff Sweeney: historically, we've given feedback by the first or second week of January.*
- *Chris Brosch: thanks for adding that into the timeline, it's really helpful.*
- *Olivia Devereux: Jess ran NEIEN reports so please feel free to check those before the deadline on Monday.*
- Update on Septic Connections – Vanessa Van Note, EPA
  - *We went to WWTWG to discuss how each jurisdiction accounts for septic connections. Follow up is needed with WWTWG members. Vanessa Van Note is going to compile this information and provide it to WTWG for a future meeting.*
  - **Action:** WTWG will be provided the minutes and a synthesis of the feedback received from the WWTWG on backout as it relates to septic connections.
- Other announcements
  - *New member orientation materials are being finalized. These will be sent to WTWG and posted to the homepage when available. Since Cassie was not at the last meeting, she welcomed the new at-large members.*

**10:30 AM – Technical Appendix from the Ag Mortality BMP Report Update**– Vanessa Van Note, EPA and Jeremy Hanson, CRC

Vanessa and Jeremy will briefly review the technical appendix from the Ag Mortality BMP report.

### Discussion

**Action:** Jeremy Hanson will provide the revised Technical Appendix to WTWG for their review. He will come back to the WTWG in January to brief the WTWG on the changes with the goal of consensus being reached at the February WTWG meeting.

*Jeremy Hanson met with individuals to discuss the technical appendix and is working on incorporating all the edits. He will be coming back in January to review the edited technical appendix with approval hopefully being sought in February.*

*Ted Tesler:* fundamental issue we had was with if we are crediting based on systems then this should be cumulative.

*Jeremy Hanson:* I am leaning towards cumulative, but I need to run it by Doug and the panel, if needed. If we are crediting based on systems and not mass mortalities it makes sense to credit cumulatively. For the most part, we are adding more details in the appendix, like adding more information on the ag mortality fraction. When discussing with PA we focused on understanding what was going to be reported each year. With DE we discussed the desire to have a report based on systems.

**THIS MEETING IS BEING RECORDED**

*Loretta Collins:* people probably want some insurance on when they will receive the appendix for review.

*Jeremy Hanson:* I need to sit down with everyone to figure out the schedule, and I think February would be a better timeline for approval. Having it available for review by January is probably possible.

*Loretta Collins:* Okay, that is a good goal- have it available for review in January with consensus being sought in February.

**10:50 AM – Appendix V: Protocols for Verification of Annual BMP Data Submissions Discussion-** Vanessa Van Note, EPA

Vanessa Van Note will provide clarification about the annual progress evaluation, review what will be changing for the 2021 Progress Year and explain the current calculations. Consensus will be asked for at our January 2022 WTWG meeting.

### **Discussion**

**Action:** The draft Appendix V: Protocols for Verification of Annual BMP Data Submissions Discussion will be sent to WTWG for their review. Consensus will be sought at the January WTWG meeting.

**Action:** Vanessa Van Note will follow up with WTWG members to make sure they understand what is happening for 2021 Progress.

*Chris Brosch:* the Bay Program has used alternative data for state BMPs. It has happened in the past. It was negotiated exercise. I am happy to see there will be some protocol to discuss. Are you asking for feedback on these proposed changes or is it better to collect it all at once, once the document is sent?

*Vanessa Van Note:* It would be easier to collect that information all at once. Do you know what alternative data was used?

*Chris Brosch:* that information would delay this meeting, but we can discuss offline.

*Vanessa Van Note:* I will follow up with you after this meeting.

*Ted Tesler:* Cover crops in PA have also been held in prior runs. This would've been 5 years ago when we were using NAS data. It was an issue of not being able to collect the data and not having good quality data as well. So, then we were held at previous years. When data is flagged, or if it held, it is just for that practice and not the broader progress run?

*Jeff Sweeney:* yes, that is correct. If it was a conservation plan with 20-30 root BMPs then we would hold the conservation plan constant.

*Ted Tesler:* and that was addressed by restricting the number of practices that could be components of a conservation plan. I think that was a positive step.

*Vanessa Van Note:* a point of clarification: when we provide you with your verification assessment you receive the rerun version while the previous version run is done internally.

*Ted Tesler:* for model load changes by major source, has that 2% been changed ever?

*Jeff Sweeney:* we look at the whole history back to 1985.

*Ted Tesler:* so, you are disagreeing that it's not back from 2009?

*Jeff Sweeney:* I am not sure and will need to verify.

*Ted Tesler:* that 2% is done internally? Is that discussed openly somewhere?

*Jeff Sweeney:* it was a really good sweet spot for all jurisdictions.

*Ted Tesler:* that's EPA's jurisdictions as oversight role?

**THIS MEETING IS BEING RECORDED**

*Jeff Sweeney:* the original Appendix V got approved through the Bay Program and the 2% was in there.

*Ted Tesler:* is it called out in the framework document?

*Jeff Sweeney:* Appendix V is in the Framework document.

*Vanessa Van Note:* we can definitely add the calculations into the document and be more up front of where those are located. Just so everyone is aware, in the updated Appendix, these calculations will be different. I just wanted everyone aware of how 2021 Progress is occurring.

*Chris Brosch:* for reported BMP implementation rate changes, are there reported rate changes?

*Vanessa Van Note:* I apologies for not including but yes this would apply to decreases in implementation in well.

*Ted Tesler:* The double rate is also document in Appendix V?

*Vanessa Van Note:* yes, this is included.

*Chris Brosch:* are you going to talk about EPA's review of the QAPPs and is this information on Appendix V going to be taken to the WQGIT? I think some of this information should be brought to their attention. I have some comments but I would reserve them for the GIT, if that is going to go there.

*Vanessa Van Note:* I will work with WQGIT Leadership to see what our options are and I also can meet with each state's technical team to go over QAPP review.

*Cassandra Davis:* does EPA review the QAPPs and progress?

*Vanessa Van Note:* EPA review the QAPP, the progress evaluation is done by CBPO. The goal is after the comments are finalized; we are able to move forward with publishing the QAPPs when we publish the progress scenario.

*Chris Brosch:* what Vanessa has brought forth today is a Bay Program document (Appendix V) would be approved by the Bay Program but the QAPP is something generated by EPA.

*Vanessa Van Note:* Appendix V was already approved (around 2017-18) and this is what will be used for 2021 Progress. The revised (which hasn't been approved yet) document will be sent out for review and would be used for 2022 Progress. I can follow up with each jurisdiction to make sure this is clear.

*Chris Brosch:* you've reached out to the group to brief them on scope and purpose of Appendix V.

*Vanessa Van Note:* the formal verification documentation was something that is received from Jeff in January and February. That is the documentation I am talking about reformatting. They are located in the back of the letter that you receive from the CBP director. I don't know if it has an official name.

*Cassandra Davis:* I think it would help to add evaluation to that.

*Chris Brosch:* I would also remove documentation as well. Can you elaborate what the verification meetings are and what they used to be?

*Olivia Devereux:* Chris, do you remember when we use to call and ask questions like "it doesn't like your submitted manure data?" etc. It's just that kind of back-and-forth conversation. Those conversations will be between states and Vanessa, Olivia, Jess, Mark, Ruth, and Jeff

*Vanessa Van Note:* each jurisdiction has that time to discuss questions.

**11:30 AM – Low Vegetation as it Relates to Backout – Vanessa Van Note, EPA**

Vanessa Van Note will give a brief overview of backout of grass buffers, wetlands, land retirement, and alternative crops. A discussion on alternatives will follow.

**Discussion**

*Postponed to January meeting to have time for discussion.*

12:00 PM – *Meeting Adjourn*

*Next Meeting: January 6, 2022 from 10:00 to 12:00 PM*

**Call Participants**

Hilary Swartwood, CRC

Emily Dekar, USC

Cassandra Davis, NYSDEC

Vanessa Van Note, EPA

Kevin Du Bois, DoD

Greg Sandi, MDE

Dave Montali, Tetra Tech (WV)

Jeff Sweeney, EPA

Bill Keeling, VA DEQ

Lisa Beatty, PA DEP

Lucinda Power, EPA

Mollee Dworkin, DNREC

Patrick Thompson, Energy Works

Jackie Pickford, CRC

Kristen Wolf, PA DEP

Jordan Baker, HRG

Suchith Ravi, UMCES

Norm Goulet, NVRC

Ted Tesler, PA DEP

Sarah Lane, MDNR

Alana Hartman, WV DEP

Helen Golimowski, Devereux Consulting

Olivia Devereux, Devereux Consulting

Jeremy Hanson, CRC

Arianna Johns, VA DEQ

Chris Brosch, DDA

Jessica Rodriguez, DoD

Loretta Collins, UMD

Jess Rigelman, J7 Inc.

Clint Gill, DDA

Ruth Cassilly, UMD

Elizabeth Hoffman, MDA

Lori Brown, DNREC